Crested Butte Bike Week is the great granddaddy of mountain biking festivals. And no mountain biking festival is complete without a race or two. And in Crested Butte, we go big. Chainless World Championships. Fat Tire 40. Downhill. We’ve got it all.
2017 Chainless World Championships – June 23
Friday, June 23, is all about the Chainless. Only in Crested Butte would we come up with a gravity-fed race like this. Bigger bikes. Bigger costumes. More ridiculous antics. Do whatever it takes to get you here in time for the Chainless. It’s probably the best time you can have for $25.
What is the chainless? Racers weigh down their bikes, put on ridiculous costumes, and remove their chains (or just zip tie them). Bikes are loaded into trailers and delivered to the starting line. We take you to the top of Kebler Pass, 7 miles of dirt road from the finish line in downtown Crested Butte. At 4:20 PM sharp, racers sprint for their bikes and jump on to cruise down the road. The one who stays off their brakes the most wins. Well, actually, everybody wins. Even the spectators hanging out at the end of Elk to watch the carnage on the final corner.
Chainless Day Schedule:
- 10 AM-12 PM: Registration at the Chamber of Commerce in the town of Crested Butte/Bike dop off 1st and Elk parking lot all bikes MUST be dropped off by 12PM
- 2:30- 3:30 PM: Participant Shuttle to the top of Kebler Pass leaves from the Chamber of Commerce in the town of Crested Butte. Don’t miss it.
- 4:20 PM: Race starts. Sprint for your bike and coast the 7 miles down to town.
- 7 Miles Later: The After Party livens up Elk Avenue. All 21+ racers get two beer tickets.
As with any event the size of the Chainless, there are a few logistical requirements. All participants must:
- Register and pay the $25 fee
- Sign the waiver
- Drop off your bike between 10 AM and 12 PM
- Catch the bus to the top of Kebler (2:30-3:30)
2017 Fat Tire 40 – June 24
The Fat Tire 40 is a serious mountain bike race. Forty miles and it’s almost all on singletrack. This isn’t one of those dirt road races masquerading as a mountain bike race. It’s the signature event of Bike Week, on Saturday morning, and there are plenty of good spots for watching and cheering on the racers.
The $75 fee includes the race, dinner, beer, and a FREE ticket to the Johnny Dynell show hosted by the Crested butte Music Festival.
Open Categories include: U-21, 21-39, 40-49, 50+.
There is a $5,000 cash purse split between Men and Women’s Elite/Pro Categories!Register Course Map Course Description
There will be NO day of registration. There is a 1:30pm cut off time at the Gothic Road/Snodgrass intersection.
2017 Jr. Crested Butte Wildflower Classic – June 25
The Crested Butte Devo team will be hosting their first ever race during Crested Butte Bike Week. This is the perfect opportunity for visiting families to get their kids in on the action! Find details and registration here.